Saturday, May 9, 2009

1095 Days/26280 Hours/1576800 Minutes

I can't believe my child has been on this earth for 1095 Days, 26280 hours, 1576800 minutes....not too bad for someone who was 4 weeks early to the day weighing in at 5lbs 6 oz and 4lbs 13 oz when discharged. Not bad for someone who had to sit in the NICU for 3 days after being discharged one day and readmitted the next. My child is a blessing, a true blessing and sometimes I ask what I did to deserve such a great gift.

I have been following so many blogs of parents who are either pregnant and aware that their child is going to be born with a terminal, sometimes fatal disease or who have lost their children either inutero or at birth. Here I am a single mother of an amazing child who had a few issues at birth but has overcome them all. If you weren't aware of Camdon's "prebirth" life you wouldn't think he was any different than any other child. My whole pregnancy, from my ultrasound at 18 weeks, was followed by many doctors appts and multiple ultrasounds to monitor him. At 18 weeks, my healthy child was showing signs of a calcification, which to the doctors is signs of cystic fibrosis. Being a single pregnant woman having to deal with this, amongst all the other things going on in my life, was a challenge. I was scared that my child was going to require more then I would be able to give him. I was petrified that my child was going to be terminally sick for however long he lived. I was mortified that my child had a very good chance of dying long before I did.

3 years later, I am responsible for a healthy and clear toddler. I am the mother of a highly active, entertaining, free spirited boy. I am grateful for what I was given and I wouldn't change him for the world. I think back than I was scared that I wouldn't have the strength or power to take care of a child with "needs"....BUT now I know I could do it. I have taken care of this little boy for 3 years all on my own and I have grown from this. I can manage more now then I ever thought I could 3 years ago.

Today was Camdon's birthday and man was it a great day. The rain kept trying to come but it held off until after the party ended and we were inside snuggling before bed. This was the 1st official birthday that Camdon really had fun at. I mean his 1st and 2nd bday were fun, but this was the first one that he got into and enjoyed with his friends. It was great to see the 4 toddler friends running around playing together and helping as he opened up his gifts. What a great day and how very blessed I am to have had this with Camdon. How blessed Camdon and I both are for having such a great family (J, J, C and D you rock) and friends to share this day with us. I have another little perk for the day, but I will keep that to myself....but I am sure some can guess what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment